Cannot export data anymore - mystery!

Ask questions and discuss programming issues around Tatool Java.
StoneJ
Institution: University of Lancaster, UK

Cannot export data anymore - mystery!

Post by StoneJ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:47 am

Hey,

I have been administering experiments using tatool online for about 6 months now. Once I got it working I haven't had a problem at all, until now.

For no obvious reason my one-jar application is now unable to export the data after a participant completes a session. They are greeted with the message:

"A connection with Tatool Online could not be established. Check your internet connection and make sure your firewall does not block Tatool. Forbidden (403)".

I have since tested it on both my windows and mac machines, and on my uni network and home network, same result. Because of the 403 error I thought it might be permissions related, but I double checked and reset file permissions on all relevant files/directories. Something seems to have fundamentally broken. I went as far to contact my web host to enquire if they had any idea why, if the permissions were not set properly, if they had upgraded php version etc etc and they say that absolutely nothing has changed.

this is my last experiment now anyway, and I only have a small number of participants left so I can just get them to export the data themselves and send it to me. But I cannot help but be curious as to what has gone wrong, does anyone have any experience of this type of issue, or perhaps is having a similar issue right now?

Cheers,

James

alocher
Institution: Tatool

Re: Cannot export data anymore - mystery!

Post by alocher » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:01 am

Hey James

Sorry for the late reply, we're in the middle of a move and I didn't have proper internet access. I quickly tried with our server and had no issue with the upload. As you already stated the 403 error indicates that there is some permission problem which gets triggered by the web server (apache?) or php. Here are a few questions which might help to track down the issue.

- Do you have access to your web server log files?
- Which PHP version are you using?
- Are you using your own php.ini configuration?
- Can you access the current php configuration in use?
- Is the problem appearing independent of the size of the upload?
- Is the download of modules still working?

Cheers,
André

StoneJ

Post by StoneJ » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:27 pm

alocher wrote:Hey James

Sorry for the late reply, we're in the middle of a move and I didn't have proper internet access. I quickly tried with our server and had no issue with the upload. As you already stated the 403 error indicates that there is some permission problem which gets triggered by the web server (apache?) or php. Here are a few questions which might help to track down the issue.

- Do you have access to your web server log files?
- Which PHP version are you using?
- Are you using your own php.ini configuration?
- Can you access the current php configuration in use?
- Is the problem appearing independent of the size of the upload?
- Is the download of modules still working?

Cheers,
André
Hi André,

I use GoDaddy Linux hosting so I don't have a great deal of control over the server, which I thought was for the best as I don't know a great deal about this sort of thing. I have turned error logging on but I won't get any logs for 24 hours.

PHP version is 5.3. I don't use my own php.ini config. From a very quick bit of research it seems that I cnanot access the godaddy server php.ini but I can upload my own to be used instead. I believe it is happening independent of upload size, as some of my tests were on me exiting modules after just one trial which would produce a very small file indeed. And download of modules still works fine.

the error message today seems to have changed:

"An unknown error has occured while trying to export your data.
org.apache.http/NoHttpResponseException: The target server failed to respond: The target server failed to respond."

All seems to point towards an issue on the server end but supposedly nothing that end has changed at all. I'm afraid I am a little bit hopeless when it comes to this stuff.

As I have said most of my current research using tatool has now been concluded so it isn't terribly urgent I fix this with regards to my current work but obviously I intend to use my tatool programs in future studies also.

Many thanks,

James

StoneJ

Post by StoneJ » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:58 am

This problem seems to have resolved itself.

This suggests to me that it was something on the server end even though the two people I spoke to from GoDaddy insisted that that could not have been the case.

alocher
Institution: Tatool

Post by alocher » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:43 am

I'm glad that solved itself as I was not able to figure out what could be going wrong there. Thanks for letting us know.